Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Feeling lonely…watch more TV

 

Loneliness. We’ve all felt it. That feeling when you feel alone but that’s the last thing you actually want to be. Whether it’s a Friday night with nothing to do, weeks of being busy at work that leave little time to socialize, a new breakup, or moving to a new city, feeling lonely is just plain painful. Loneliness is defined as the disturbing experience that occurs when a person feels that his or her network of social relations does not fulfill the person’s needs in important ways. To me, it feels like something is missing in my life. Our basic needs in life are not only food and shelter, but to feel wanted and to want people in our lives in return.


So what happens when we need to fill the void we call loneliness? Some people turn to the bottle while others turn on their TV. If you’re the type to turn on your television when you feel a little lonely you might find yourself getting connected with certain TV shows. My go to TV shows to beat feeling alone are Lost, True Blood, and Grey’s Anatomy. If you’re like me then you can find yourself literally building relationships with the characters on these shows. We get attached to characters like Jack Shepard, Sookie Stackhouse, and McDreamy. Why is this? Why do we get so attached to TV characters? One possible answer that many scholars have studied is called parasocial interaction. You’re probably thinking…parasocial WHAT? Let’s break this term down. According to the dictionary the term “para” means beside or adjacent to, and distinct from, but analogous to. The term social is defined as needing companionship. So now let’s bring those two terms together and what do we get? Distinct from, and needing companionship. To me this is starting to sound like the relationship I have with McDreamy. To elaborate, scholars define parasocial interaction as a one-sided relationship that we create with media figures, and in particular, TV characters. This relationships gets to a level where we come to know these characters as our friends and we see them filling a particular role in our life. So this explains why we turn on the TV when we are feeling a little down in the dumps. 


Three researchers from large Midwestern universities, Qi Wang, Edward, Fink, and Deborah Cai, wanted to know more about the correlation between feeling lonely and turning on our TV’s. To do this they studied four different types of loneliness and the amounts of parasocial interaction that took place with each. They came up with four types of loneliness; family, romantic, and social. I found this part very interesting because I didn’t know that there could be different types of loneliness. The first type of loneliness is family loneliness. Family loneliness is where people feel like they lack family bonds, Wang Fink and Cai thought that family loneliness would definitely lead to higher levels of parasocial interaction. Romantic loneliness occurs when we do not have a romantic partner in our lives, or when our relationship my be unfulfilled which leaves a void in our lives. The researchers wanted to know if romantic loneliness would even be related to parasocial interaction since romantic relationships are more physical and TV cannot fill that void. The third type of loneliness was social, this is where we feel that there is a “perceived discrepancy between desired and obtained social relationships” (p. 94). The researchers thought that people who felt socially lonely would turn on their TV’s to create parasocial interactions to temper loneliness. The final type of loneliness, chronic loneliness, was also measured. Chronic loneliness is where we feel alone all the time and it is something that we cannot shake. It is also part of being depressed. The researchers looked at people who felt all three types of loneliness to get to chronic loneliness.

To find out if Wand, Fink, and Cai were right about their predictions about loneliness and parasocial interaction they tested both men and women with each type of loneliness and the relating levels of parasocial interaction. What they found was that women experiencing family and social loneliness resorted to parasocial interaction more than men did. However, men that felt chronically lonely turned to parasocial interaction more than women did. Romantically lonely people, both men and women, did not turn to parasocial interaction. 

So what do these result mean?

According to the research lonely people do turn to TV to fill a void. So if you’re feeling a little stranded by your friends and family, turning on your TV more often might not be a bad thing. Television can fulfill many functions in our lives. Not only is it always there, waiting to be watched, but it also tells us stories, informs us, and makes us feel connected. If you’re filling that sting that all of us feel when we are newly single or unfulfilled in our relationships you can also turn on the TV but it might not help you feel better. My remedy for being single is to reconnect with your friends and get out of the house. Being a hermit in your house with ice cream and a chick flick might make you feel better in the moment but in the long run it probably won’t. To me, relational loneliness passes. We are single, and it hurts for a while, but as time passes we get over it. To use parasocial interaction to help with loneliness we need to first find out why we are feeling lonely. Once we know that we need to proceed with caution. Parasocial interaction can only help stifle feelings of loneliness. It won’t solve our loneliness.



Want more info? 

Wang, Q., Fink, E.L., & Cai, D.A. (2008). Loneliness, gender and parasocial interaction: A uses and gratifications approach. Communication Quarterly, 56, 87-109.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    So, the first thing I thought when I pulled up your blog is, oh-my-gosh! How’d my picture get on her blog! Kidding, but really… that’s about how I’ve felt the last few days trying to veg between work, parenting, and finals. I really like your blog. I am fascinated by the different types of loneliness. Different types of loneliness makes sense. Out of curiosity, what did the people who experience romantic loneliness turn to? I have a cousin I think falls into the chronic loneliness category and she watches a LOT of television. I stayed with her during a trip once and realized that she comes straight home from work, sits down to watch TV and doesn’t get up until it’s time for bed. Even then, she falls asleep with the TV on in her room. In fact, she doesn’t ever turn her television off. She leaves it on during the day for her cat to watch. What would you say about that?
    I’m with you—I have a few favorite shows that I watch on a regular basis. I love to follow the story lines, but mostly I love to take a break from reality and have a good laugh. I have definitely developed a relationship with the characters on these shows—and feel like a crazy person when they do things I don’t “agree” with. Because of your research this semester, I’m starting to wonder how healthy this “interaction” really is! I mean, I have found myself experiencing major anxiety over things that aren’t actually real (hello, doctors being stranded in the woods after a plane crash)! I remember from class discussions that your research showed television to have an effect on the way we view reality, did it say anything about having an effect on mental health? Just curious to know if that ever came up. Great job with your blog! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte,

    Haha, I know how you feel! I've felt like that girl in the picture for the last couple weeks too. I think it is all the work I've been doing for school and my brain just needs to rest. As for your questions the researchers did not say what the romantically lonely people turned to. The focus of this study was on parasocial interactions so I guess if they people studied didn't turn to the television to aid in their loneliness then it didn't get studied. However, I think that romantically lonely people try to go out and find other people. At least that's what I do. Or maybe they turn to the internet to find another mate. I have a friend that is always on that website, "Plenty of Fish." Its filled with people just looking to have romantic company. I guess there is nothing wrong with that. About your cousin, I also have family members that are much like that with their televisions. One of them won't go out on Monday's because she HAS to watch Dancing With the Stars. If she misses it, its like she missed her child's birthday. I would classify these people as chronically lonely. The characters on the screen fill a void for lonely people. The point to parasocial interaction is that you are supposed to realize that it is an imagined intimacy, or a one-sided intimacy. The danger I see about this is when media consumers who may be chronically lonely do not realize that the relationship is imagined. Then there is a problem. Parasocial interaction is based in Uses and Gratification theory which states that we are active agents in choosing the media. If we are sad then we might watch a comedy to cheer us up. However, I mentioned this in my formal paper the danger to this might lie in cultivation theory when we don't see the effects of this relationship or it becomes naturalized in a way that can constrain us. Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Hello Amanda, Your blog today is extremely interesting and brings up some new questions and connections for me. You stated that the definition of loneliness is a disturbing experience when social networks do not fulfill needs… I guess I see a difference in being alone for an evening, watching some TV, feeling a little lonely, and the definition you gave sounds like a more serious, ongoing emotional state.

      Do men (and women) watch sports for the same reason sometimes? To fill a need caused by loneliness? Does the same need get filled with watching a movie, but without the ongoing parasocial interaction from a weekly show? Many people read books; does parasocial interaction fill a similar role in their lives?

      I read an article this semester on attachment styles, loneliness, quality and stability of marital relationships (Knoke, Burau & Roehrle, 2010). The article stated there is good in having competence in being alone. It is a sign of well-being and autonomy. It makes us not so needy of our partner, etc. We are OK doing our own thing. Maybe that is watching TV for a night, or reading quietly alone with the cat.

      I just find it interesting to tie attachment styles, loneliness and TV watching together. Maybe it is something to look at in the future. Have a great Christmas break!

      Delete
  4. Nancy,

    I think that being being alone and feeling lonely are two entirely separate things. Being alone for an evening doesn't necessarily mean you are lonely. In fact, many scholars in the field state that being alone is very healthy for not only ourselves but for every relationship we encounter. I think that being alone is very temporary where being lonely is indeed more serious and it might last a longer amount of time. As for your question about sports, remember (from previous blogs and in class) that parasocial interaction comes from a uses and gratifications approach and theory, which states that we choose the media to satisfy ourselves in some way. An example of this is when we are feeling sad, and we watch a funny movie. For this blog the example would be that we feel lonely so we fill that void with media characters and parasocial interaction. So to me, certain players in sports could be considered parasocial interaction. I also think that movies can create a parasocial relationship. An article I read by Wohl states that everytime we engage in mass media we are creating parasocial interactions, it doesn't matter if that is for a minute or not. Then it is our choice whether to accept or decline further interaction. So yes, watching a movie, or reading a book (which is still a form of mass media) can constitute parasocial interactions. Just look at movies like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games, Twilight, and even 50 Shades of Grey.

    I have done blogs and academic papers for this class about attachment styles and and parasocial interactions. It is very interesting, I just think that a good thing to keep in mind is that the words alone and lonely are different and have two different definitions. Yes you can feel alone when you are lonely, but with the context of being alone for a night that is where the main difference comes in. Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, interesting blog post. I really liked how you touched on a completely new topic with this blog! The idea of loneliness and TV is interesting to me because I relate to the motivations you mention, using TV to fill that void. I’ve been a phase lately where I feel so tired and so it’s easier to be anti-social and stay at home with TV but then I feel like I should be more social and get out to interact with real, live people. The epic struggle haha :) I think you’re right here though, that people use TV to substitute real relationships and it can most likely compound over time. We could expand our definition of media to include the Internet here too I think because it seems like people use that to substitute for actual interactions too, the difference being with the Internet that the interactions are real people but just mediated through a computer. I think there’s increasing amounts of research that show the more people hole up with their computers or TVs, the less capable they are at interacting in the real world (if we can even determine what the real world is haha). Nice job on the blog today and I’ve enjoyed your subject this semester :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Amanda! Awesome Post.
    You know it must be a coincidence but after reading a lot of the blogs today, It seems to me as if the same issue re-occurs. In Jared’s blog I talked about the lack of socialization at work and how that is not good for people.
    I find that many of the wealthy developed countries I have visited in Europe and America are highly individualistic. As one who believes that nobody’s culture is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ sometimes I have to question the level of individualism of many developed countries.
    In many of these highly industrialized societies, people work about 40 hours weekly. We just learned from Jared that most people do not make friends at work (The place people spend literally the entire day). This cannot be a good thing .
    I do not have data on this, but from my experience, even at college I would say that people do not make as many friends as they could compared to what I have seen from generally less developed countries with more collective cultures.
    I am not sure if this is as a result of high GDP per capita that perhaps people do not feel the need to make friends because they have access to more money that can purchase all their required goods and services? I am not sure but I have definitely been able to notice this difference and people deal with this differently like you said by watching T.V or drinking e.t.c. It would definitely be a good research topic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda,

    Para-social interaction is such an interesting topic! It's amazing to me that we are so socially oriented that we can have relationship attachment to fictional characters on TV. I wonder if the bonding we do with TV characters is actually stronger than bonding we do during a phone call even though they are one-sided relationships, because we can see the body language of the characters on TV while we can't over the phone. No need to respond. Nicely done. Thank you for another fun semester! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great blog. I feel like I missing something though. Your conclusion was focused on how TV may or may not make you "feel better," and yet I didn't see the research discuss the outcome of TV watching (increased or decreased happiness or loneliness) but rather the motivations for TV watching (existing types of loneliness). Am I reading this right? If your conclusion makes a leap away from the research just make that clear. "While the researchers didn't discover whether TV watching helps, given that people use the media when feeling lonely with such frequency, we can assume they are getting something out of it" or whatever. I think it is So Interesting that people turned to parasocial for every type of loneliness except romantic. Wonder what they turn to there... internet? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great topic for a blog, very relatable to any audience. I really only have a couple of minor suggestions. I don't think you have to define loneliness in the intro, "we've all experienced it" so we know what it means. Saying "that feeling when you feel" just sounds too repetitive. You could just state "You are alone, and you don't want to be." Or something like that. Also, I'm not sure if it matters in a blog, or just in a paper, but dictionaries are not the best sources to use. Does an academic define the same term? That might work better. Overall, it was very interesting! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete