Monday, October 22, 2012

An answer to why we take the media so seriously.

 
The media is all around us and sometimes it seems inescapable. What I mean by that is the media is always sending us messages or ideas that are hard to get away from. We watch an episode of Dexter and all of a sudden we start having anxiety attacks and have an abrupt fear of serial killers. We watch Disney movies and have an idea on what beauty and true love is, and how to achieve it.

 The media gives us ideas on what is normal, how to act, and what to expect in our society. But where does this idea come from? Well, theorists and researchers in the communication field have been thinking the same thing for years, and this community of academics has come up with one possible answer, cultivation theory. 
Developed by George Gerbner in the 1960s and according to researchers from the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, cultivation theory is the assumption or hypothesis that "those who spend more time watching television are more likely to perceive the real world in ways that reflect the most common and recurrent messages of the world of fictional television." This means that what we see on TV can reflect how we act and think in the real world. The media assists us in creating our own social reality. 


According to both researchers there are different ways in which cultivation theory has been studied and current developments that are utilized to examine different media phenomenon. The first is genre-specific cultivation, which states that different genres of television can affect us in different ways. One of the most recent genres that have been studied using cultivation theory are talk shows.


The second, and most well known way in which cultivation theory has been used as a lens to study media is with media violence and fear of crime. Many scholars study how crime or violence in the media reflects viewers’ outlook on crime, violence, and social trust in reality.

Recently other research using cognitive theory has also sprung up. Researchers have studied the portrayal of drug abuse, mental health, body image, homosexuality, gender, family, relationships, sexual stereotypes, the environment, and race perceptions. The future for cultivation theory seems strong with both researchers saying that, “as long as there are popular storytelling systems and purveyors of widely shared messages, Gerbner’s main ideas are likely to persist.”


So know that we know the basics of cultivation theory you might be wondering how it is applied, and how researchers study it. Let’s bring it back to Grey’s Anatomy and see how a researcher from Texas A&M University studied how watching Grey’s Anatomy effected perceptions on the relationship created between doctors and patients. With what we now know about cultivation theory we can assume that heavy viewers of Grey’s will, “maintain perceptions of doctors that are consistent with depictions of television doctors on Grey’s.” The researcher wanted to study how the perceived credibility of Grey’s Anatomy is positively associated with the perceived courageousness of real-world doctors. To study this effect students filled out surveys on their perceptions of doctors and then their viewing habits and credibility of Grey’s Anatomy. Audience viewings of Grey’s Anatomy were also utilized with surveys relating to credibility and perceptions of doctors given afterward.

What the researcher found is that the more people watch the show the more realistic they perceived the show. This finding can shape our assumptions on reality. Using this information the researcher also found a positive association between the perceived courageousness of real-world doctors and patient satisfactions. Just like in Grey’s Anatomy patients want doctors that are willing to do risky procedures to save patient’s lives and make them better.

We have only scratched the surface of cultivation theory and the potential ways in which we can use it as a lens to study television effects. In the upcoming weeks I hope to use cultivation theory as a theoretical framework to examine how entertainment media, especially film and television, can shape our expectations of relationships.



Morgan, M., & Shanahan, J. (2010). The state of cultivation. Journal Of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 54, 337-355.

Quick, B. L. (2009). The effects of viewing Grey's Anatomy on perceptions of doctors and patient satisfaction. Journal Of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 53, 38-55.

6 comments:

  1. I am really fascinated by your topic in general. I guess it just goes along with what I’ve always thought to be true in the first place, so it’s really interesting to see research that supports the theory. I am also interested by the theory you have—and I guess the first thing I started to wonder as I read you blog is if this is mildly related at all to brainwashing. I don’t mean in the malicious sense, but that’s kind of what it sounds like, in a way. Along those lines, it concerns me a little bit because I start to think about who has control over the media, what they allow to be communicated through television, and how it will affect my life, my daughter’s life, and so on. Personally, I hate reality TV. I like to watch TV to be entertained by completely fictional and unrealistic stories with happy endings. I don’t want anything even remotely realistic. I guess that is why I am extremely annoyed at Shonda Rimes for killing off my favorite Grey’s Anatomy character this season—and because of your research this semester I am realizing more and more how ridiculous my attachment to this show is. I mean, why should Mark Sloan dying make me cry, and then get angry at the writers of the show? It’s a TV show, for crying out loud—it isn’t even real. But, I think having people die like that is making it too real, and associating it with real life is depressing. It’s scary to think that the lines between television/movies and real life can blur like that, but it’s also naïve to think that they don’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte,
      I was also very upset when Sloan died. He was doing just fine and then boom, dead. Cultivation theory has is very interesting to me and I'm just getting into some of the research that is supported by cultivation theory. It is intriguing/scary to think that we take what the media communicates to us and apply it in our own lives, without even knowing it most of the time. And you're right; the people that control the media potentially control those messages. What makes it to our screens? The theory behind that is called gatekeeping theory. Gatekeeping theory is about the messages that make it past editors, producers, directors, (all called “gates”) and finally to media consumers. These messages have qualities that other competing messages do not. Some of these qualities can be the “wow” factor that they contain or their deviance from normality, their importance, relevance and so on. I will say that the messages that we see in the media are influenced by not only the individuals that create them but also by communication routines, organizations, social institutions, and the larger social system that we are a part of. This means that capitalism can influence the messages we see on our screens and in turn, influence our beliefs, values, and actions. I want to just focus on the messages that make it to our screens and not their journey to the screen, that’s where cultivation theory is a potential fit for what I am studying. Thank you for your comment, hopefully more to come on this theory and how it influences my topic.

      Delete
  2. Amanda,
    I find your topic fascinating and enjoyed your discussion about two theories relating to the media. You mentioned that cultivation theory states that the media has a small but measurable effect. How would you describe small? If it truly is a small effect, why do we worry so much about it? I wonder if the small effect is on our development of our sense of identity along with the perceptions of the real world.
    If the media changes our perception of the world, what happens to those individuals who have their perceptions shattered by the realities of day to day living? These things do not seem so small to me.
    Your discussion of Grey’s Anatomy is one I can relate to since I have worked in the health care world. I know many physicians who do not like medical shows because they are not representative of what their reality is. One acquaintance mentioned, “The entire world will think we are not commitment to relationships that we all sleep around and we do not.” They also talk often about the influence that media has on patients and many times that interferes with their ability to treat them. The physicians that I know do not want to be considered heroes and they are very careful with their patients and feel that taking “risks” is detrimental to those they care for. When they are required to be bold – they carefully consider the consequences and involve the patient and their family members as well. The healthcare professionals that I know feel that media does them and their patients a disservice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa,

      I agree with your last comment about the media doing the healthcare professionals you know a disservice. I feel that many parts of the media do us a disservice. I also feel that cultivation theory also helps us understand how this can happen and give us a lens into seeing the epistemology and belief systems behind this that we would have not come to know otherwise. However I think that there are some media messages that are good for society. PBS would be an example of that. Although, even the ideas of disservice and good media messages are very subjective and the meaning can change within these ideas and the words used to describe them. I guess you have to take the media itself and some of this research with a grain of salt. With that being said and me trying to speak for the researchers I think that when they say small that is relating to the violence literature which is what cultivation theory mainly focuses on. With violence what is said is that usually the media, along with some other factors that I’m not too sure about create the fear of crime that they are measuring. I think of it this way, Disney movies have taught me certain things about what pretty means, what women’s roles are, what love is, and what good hair looks like. When I grew up I experienced some of these expectations to be false, and although it might be a little disappointing to see some of what I believed not to be true it didn’t tear me apart. To me, cultivation theory seems like a good theory to use but it might not explain all the answers that I have about the media. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Useful theory, as we discussed in class. I really liked your title. So much so that I had really high expectations! I think I was let down just a bit by the academic language (e.g., "current developments that are utilized to examine different media phenomenon.") Remember your "audience" (even if that makes you a capitalist- haha)-- It's people who really want an answer to this question- why do we take it so seriously? Let me know in a down to earth way. Tell it to me like you'd tell your aunt. Looking forward to future blogs with the cultivation lens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy talking about the influence of media, so I found your blog interesting, especially the discussion of genres now being researched for cultivation theory. Most of what I have read on the theory focused on violence, but it can definitely be applied to perceptions of gender, race, religion, etc. So, I'm glad to see it's branching in those directions. Looking at those branches would definitely help you with your research question.

    ReplyDelete